Alopecia areata has adversely impacted the lives of millions of Americans. While the second most common form of alopecia is prevalent in both men and women, hair loss is more significant in men. Even though the medical condition impacts such a large swath of the population, awareness about [alopecia areata] is still relatively low.
We decided to create this post in collaboration with Lordhair, a leading hair replacement brand specialising in hairpieces for men and women.
Let’s start by understanding the meaning of [alopecia areata].
Table of Contents
Alopecia Areata: Meaning
It is an autoimmune disorder that causes unpredictable hair loss. People experience different degrees of hair loss in this medical condition and it could lead to severe hair loss on the scalp and rest of the body if not checked on time.
[Alopecia areata] is triggered when our immune system attacks a healthy part of the body, usually hair follicles and nails. Other parts of the body remain healthy during this medical condition.
Signs Of Alopecia Areata
Without proper knowledge of symptoms and treatments, it’s hard to treat alopecia areata. Below are the major signs and symptoms of this autoimmune condition:
- During the starting phase, the majority of people witness small bald patches on the scalp. This phase sometimes goes unnoticed.
- Patches may grow bigger and result in a large bald spot. Hair loss becomes noticeable during this phase.
- Extreme hair shedding in a short time period is also a sign of [alopecia areata].
- [Alopecia areata] can also affect your nails. Red, brittle, and pitted fingernails & toenails are common in those with this condition.
- Men experiencing [alopecia areata] also face hair loss on eyelashes, eyebrows, or beard areas. Women usually don’t, however.
Treatments For Alopecia Areata
Until now, no cure has emerged for [alopecia areata], but some treatments can help you minimize hair loss caused by this autoimmune disease and restore healthy hair quickly. The following are some of those treatments:
Corticosteroids: Corticosteroids are one of the best treatments to fix hair loss caused by alopecia areata. Available in topical form, its immune system suppressors counteract the effects of hair loss disease, allowing strands to regrow. Always consult with your doctor before using corticosteroids for treating alopecia areata.
“Food Be Thy Medicine”: They say ‘kitchen is the best hospital, food the best medicine’. Rubbing onion juice, garlic juice, cooled green tea, almond oil, olive oil, or coconut milk into the scalp may prevent this hair loss condition from getting worse. That said, results vary from person to person.
Since recovery options are limited and the hair takes time to grow back, a lot of men wear toupee wigs to get rid of [alopecia areata]. The below benefits will help you understand why toupees are worn for severe hair loss recovery.
Benefits Of Hair Systems
- Hair systems deliver instant results.
- Zero side effects
- Hair systems are not permanent and your decision of wearing a hair system can be reversed anytime.
- Easy to purchase and wear for first-time buyers.
- Suitable for temporary hair loss
- Hair systems are affordable as compared to surgeries.
- Painless and comfortable
Understanding Alopecia Areata
We hope the above insights helped you learn about the meaning, symptoms, and treatments of [alopecia areata]. In addition to all the above, avoid smoking and drinking alcohol if you face excessive hair loss. Embrace a healthy diet to strengthen your hair from the inside.
Have questions in mind? Drop them in the comments to get a quick reply from hair experts.
alopecia areata treatments
how i cured my alopecia areata
alopecia areata treatment cream
how to stop alopecia areata from spreading
alopecia areata causes
alopecia areata causes in females